RSS
This is about sports and politics. (I’m an expert at both so don’t give me any crap). Sharing my thoughts on everything that interests me, most likely music, football or politics.

The First Ring

Denver Broncos, John Elway, NFLHow did we get here? Right, I wanted to talk about my love of this game. It's my Dad's fault. In a passive way he made me watch football on Sundays and Mondays.

Okay, here we go. This is my recap of how I came to love the game of football. It's my Dad's fault. In an entirely passive way he made me watch the games every Sunday Monday and Thanksgiving.



In the beginning of my story I was remembering that most excellent 1997 season that took the Broncos to the playoffs. I left this tidbit out before but did you know that the Broncos were just the second Wild Card team to win the big game? *Sigh* If you must know, the other was Super Bowl XV champions the Oakland Raiders. Whatever.

This was the first time that I had a vested interest in any playoff game. The tension is surreal. Really! This of course was before I had Sunday ticket or even cable. The only games I caught were at work. Or the next day at work. The suspense was ... well this was way before the instant gratification of the internet, cell phones and DVR's. Suspense meant something different 12 years ago.

There is something magical about the playoffs isn't there? It's do or die, you want your team to win, know they can win but you have that horrible dread feeling in the pit of your stomach because there are so many way to screw it up. Fumble, interception, missed field goal, or stripping the ball from the quarterback. As a fan every anxiety you have during the regular season is multiplied by 100,000. (If this seems a bit like hyperbole than you are not the fanatic I thought you were)



I didn't know it at the time but the Broncos had many new and inspiring things going on behind the scenes. As of 1995 they had a new head coach who an offensive coordinator that had taken a team to the Super Bowl in 1994. In 1996 Terrell Davis was drafted in the 6th round. They also had the league's best offense. As a new fan I was just excited to see the underdog take the center stage and hold on to it.

Before every game it felt like the media (and yes, my Dad too) was saying "OK, this is it, it's been good but..." and yet here is what happened. They beat the jaguars, they beat the Chiefs and then they beat the Steelers. Hello! Who saw that coming?

Me!

Did you ever notice that there is a fire or spark in some people? A spirit or a passion in them that shows they really love what they do and mean to win? I think that a football team most importantly needs someone extra to go all the way (thanks @michaelparks11). I always thought it was the quarterback that needed to provide that extra zing to get the team the ultimate prize but my Twitter friend reminded me it can be one of three things: QB, offense or defense.

I had that gut feeling that my guys were going all the way but if you don't start a game with butterflies or full on nerves there is something wrong with you. I say that because I was more nervous about the first playoff game against the Kansas City Chiefs than I was for the Wild Card game. The division games always make me the most nervous. No matter what the season record is it seems like these games can always go wither way.

Example, who picked the Broncos over the Raiders (38-24, thanks to my buddy for paying up so quickly, by the way, you are a good friend for a Raider fan! Peace!) in week 9? Thought so. AFC West is almost too close to call right now. Sadly. But I digress.

Week 1, 1997 Playoff Season. Denver Broncos at the Kansas City Chiefs. It was a nail biter. I remember that the game seemed to drag on and on. I was able to watch it since my office was actually a bar because I was a cocktail waitress. Do you remember the score? I do because I looked it up: 1st quarter 0-0 that was okay because we still had three quarters to go. 2nd quarter 7-0 Broncos: right on! 3rd quarter was too scary 10-7 Chargers: to use a current phrase WTF. It was okay thought, Denver scored on more touchdown in the 4th quarter to win the game.

When your team is behind in the 4th quarter it is the worst feeling. Now that I think about it being in the lead is not so easy either. If you team is not more than two touchdowns ahead they can still lose. This is another of the many reasons that I love this game!

To be honest, I have no memories of the Pittsburgh Steelers game. I worked nights except Sundays so I probably slept through it. If I caught any of it would have been only the end. The only important thing was that Denver won by a score of 24 to 21 even though they did not score one point in the entire 2nd half.

You know what stands out the most in my memory of Super Bowl XXXII? The fact that no one thought that John Elway could win. Everyone seemed to take joy in making fun of him and reminding the fans of how many playoff games he had lost. It seemed to me at this point he had no choice. He had to win. For me, the underdog must always win.

I have watched the replay of this game so many times that I really can't distinguish between memory and what is saved on my DVR "until I delete it". What I wonder now is how long did it take Elway to win over the doubters. At the half when the Broncos were leading by 3? No, they probably still doubted him. I bet they doubted right up until the last second half of the game.

Even now my excitement builds as I watch the final 2:00 minutes of the 4th quarter. Green Bay Packers Coach Mike Holmgren told his team to let the Broncos score. Terrell Davis (game MVP) scored his 3rd touchdown of the game.

Can you imagine how tense that sideline was during those last seconds? Elway had done his job. It was all up to the Defense. Can you imagine literally having to put your career in the hands of someone else? I can't because I have to do things myself. I'll let you help me but I have to finish my own way. It came down to seconds. Broncos linebacker John Mobley broke up a pass to give the Offense time to run down the clock.

In the end, owner Pat Bowlen held up that Vince Lombardi trophy and said
"This one's for John!"

I had tears in my eyes. I went straight home to call my Dad. I think I had to punch in that number twice because I was so excited, "Hi Daddy." I said. I am getting misty again just remembering. To be honest I think we were both crying, for more than one reason. That was a moment to treasure.










  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment